I have learned to give credit to my 5 yr old nephew. He is a very smart kid who, like most kids, tend to see things how they are, through innocent eyes. You can learn a lot from him, I certainly have. This morning I was getting him ready for school, when we started on one of our deep and meaningful conversations. Whenever I get anxious about something, or the least bit stressed, I can count on our conversations about oxygen and octopus legs to take me miles away from my thoughts. At times, they even teach me a few things about how I should look at life. As usual he asked if I miss "big john" and how long it would be untill I get to see him next. "How many days until he comes back to my house?" That lead us to a list of things to count down to. 5 days untill we go to Sulpher Springs, 68 days untill summer, and so on. This went on long enough to tie both of his shoes. Just as I thought that the conversation had reached the end point he surprised me with one more questions. "But what is today?" I was confused at first and I'm sure he could tell from the look on my face. I didn't have to ask him to explain the question. "I just want to be excited about today, you don't have to wait for today."
When you think about it, we do tend to worry too much about whats coming. We are so distracted with worrrying about the future or living too much in the past, that we miss out on whats going on now. That's right, just another life lesson given by the 5 yr old genius.

0 comments:
Post a Comment