My Junior year at OC I took a class called “Perspectives of Lit.” Dr. Agen was the type of woman who had obviously been tortured through grade school by cheerleaders and jocks. She was a brilliant lady and I’m sure she had worked very hard to get to where she was. It should also be known that this woman despised me. She would zero in on me, forcing my comments and opinions out of me. She then would hang these opinions out for the class to see, tearing them down with every inch of her doctorate degree. It never seemed to bother me, because I didn’t really care if she agreed with my views on “The Lottery” and how I thought it was the most pointless, savage piece of literature ever written.
Most of the time, I would do my assignments to the best of my ability. Toward the end of the semester we were given an assignment that I was actually excited about. We were told to bring in a poem, movie, short story, or some piece of art that represented a type of utopia. I brought in John Lennon’s “Imagine.” I was thrown back (but not at all surprised) when she found a way to fail me on this assignment. Her exact words were something like “It is ridiculous for you to bring in a simple song and claim it as literature.” She went on to tell me that music isn’t considered a work or art. I remember pointing out things like the Beatles, Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain’s ability, and success of changing pop culture with their music. To say that it wasn’t art was a close-minded and well, ignorant opinion for someone as achieved as this woman.
So, why bring this up? Mostly because last night my opinion was restored. My faith in music has never been lost, but last night I was reminded of why I love it so much. I heard a song written and sung by Rosi Golan and William Fitzsimmons. Have you ever heard a song that you really feel like you could have written yourself? Not because the talent and creativity were at all on the same level, but because you are able to relate to the words so well. The heartfelt lyrics like “if I went and lost myself, would you know how to find me,” caught my attention, and after hearing it once more I was hooked. There really isn’t a point to this post… just to remind everyone to listen to their favorite song tonight.
0 comments:
Post a Comment